Humbled Housewife

Friday, April 20, 2012

Spicy Apple-Glazed Meatballs

I tried a new recipe tonight that was really yummy.  Even my kids liked it!

I found it in Better Homes and Gardens May 2012 edition.  I meant to take a picture of the finished product, but forgot.  It was a pretty dish.

Spicy Meatballs
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
2 slices bread, torn
1 lb. ground beef (I used almost 2 lbs. and it still turned out fabulous)
4 cloves garlic, minced (I was out and used garlic salt instead)
1/4 tsp. salt (if you use garlic salt, you can omit this)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (I used about half of what it called for and it was still very spicy)
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil

Apple Glaze
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (I only used a pinch)
6 green onions, sliced


In a large bowl whisk together egg and milk.  Add bread and let sit ten minutes until bread is softened.  Add ground beef, garlic, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and mix thoroughly with hands or a wooden spoon.  Shape beef mixture into one-inch balls.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; add half the meatballs and turn occasionally until brown and crusty on the outside and no longer pink inside.  Transfer cooked meatballs to a serving dish and cook the other half; drain the fat from the skillet and wipe clean with a paper towel.

For the apple glaze; combine juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, ginger and cayenne in a bowl.  In the same skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the sauce until thickened and bubbly.  Cook and stir two minutes more.  Return the meatballs to the skillet to glaze and heat through.  Transfer back to serving dish and top with green onions.

I served them over sticky white rice and spooned some glaze over them.  I cut back on the cayenne pepper because I didn't want them to be too spicy for my kids.  They still had a kick and my kids noticed, but it wasn't too much.  They ate them up!

It's a very easy, and inexpensive meal.  I will definitely be making them again!

Enjoy!


****Update****

I made these again and took a picture.


They were just as good the second time, only I served them over egg noodles instead of rice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment